One of the benefits of 100% Belgian linen is how well it washes. In fact, many people love the look and feel of linen that has developed a lovely patina and softness over time. Washing is a straight forward process but we do recommend using a detergent that is free of enzymes such as Woolite. If you need to handle the inevitable tablecloth stain please follow these guidelines from Libeco Home makers of our linen products.
For stains, try the following:
- Ink: Soak in milk, or in soap-and-ammonia mixture, and rub the spot.
- Blood: Rinse immediately in cold water.
- Fruit, coffee, tea and chocolate: Rub with alcohol, white vinegar and ammonia.
- Candle wax: Scratch off dried wax, absorb residue with blotting paper and warm iron.
- Greasy Stains: Rub with ammonia.
- Red Wine: Rub immediately with sparkling water or white wine.
If stains do not disappear, you can try:
- Soaking the linen in a good washing detergent, or dissolving 3.5 oz. sodium borate in boiling water, then adding enough cold water to yield 1½ gallons, and let soak for 1 hour.
- Never use chlorine bleach which may damage the fibers.
If you have any questions about the care of your Libeco linens just click here to send us an email.