By Hairee Lee
It looks fabulous. Well, that and it features the quintessential summer fruit: watermelon. The balsamic vinegar reduction complements the fruit perfectly, adding additional sweetness and tang that will make you wonder at the explosion of flavor in your mouth created by just three humble ingredients.
Watermelon Balsamic Appetizer Serves 8
- Seedless Watermelon cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3/4 cups balsamic vinegar. Use an affordable kind. The reduction and added sugar makes using expensive balsamic vinegar unnecessary.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup (more or less) Balsamic Reduction Syrup
- Mint leaves for garnish.
Directions Balsamic Reduction Syrup:
- Combine ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue cooking until reduced by half.
- Allow to cool, then keep refrigerated.
Putting it together:
- After trimming and cutting watermelon into 1x1 inch cubes, use a small melon baller to carve out the center of each cube. Make sure to leave the sides and bottoms in tact to hold the syrup inside.
- Turn the cubes over on a paper towel to drain for at least 20 minutes. At this point you can also wrap lightly with plastic wrap and hold in the refrigerator until needed for several hours.
- When ready to serve, add a few drops of the Balsamic Reduction Syrup to the center and place each cube on top of a mint leaf.