Revol, the more-than-a-century-old French porcelain manufacturer, sent us these recipes for two delicious summer desserts. Note that due to the original recipes being in French (and thus the measurements in grams), amounts are stated in ounces rather than cups, but we're sure gourmets and aspiring gourmets out there can make due. We've made the original recipes available as pdf files for download. Revol's porcelain, with it's functional beauty, is the epitome of classic craftsmanship and, here, doubles as cook and serving ware.
Red Pearl Crumble (Serves 3)
- 3 1/2 oz flour
- 3 1/3 oz brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla-flavored sugar
- 3 1/2 oz butter
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 7 oz bilberries (blueberries)
- 5 1/4 oz red currants
- 3 1/2 oz raspberries
- 3/4 oz sugar
- 3 1/2 oz brioche, broken into pieces
- Mix the flour, brown sugar, vanilla sugar, and cinnamon together. Rub in the softened butter to obtain a grainy mixture. Chill.
- Place all of the fruit in a large casserole with the sugar and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, drain the fruit over a smaller casserole. Place small casserole over heat, reduce juice down to a thick syrup.
- Butter 3 small Revol flan dishes and sprinkle pieces of brioche over the bottom of each. Distribute the fruit on top, pour some of the syrup over it. Cover with a layer of crumble topping. Bake in the oven at 350°F.
- Remove from oven. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Almond and pear clafoutis (Serves 8)
- 5 pears
- 4.5 oz caster sugar
- 11.3 oz powdered almonds
- 1.6 oz powdered coconut
- 14 fl oz single cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. rum
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Butter a pie tin. Wash and peel the pears and cut them in half.
- In a bowl, blend the cream, egg yolks, sugar, powdered almonds and coconut, and the rum.
- Fill the Revol pie tin with the cream mixture, then place the pear halves in a circle on top with the concave side up. Press them slightly down into the cream.
- Bake 45 minutes.