Perhaps you've done your part and purchased a variety of throw pillows, with a back up linen cover or two, to change out through the year - but, now what? What's the best way to arrange them, without just looking like you have a throw pillow overflow?
Here are 5 tips for styling your accent pillows so they look purposeful, rather than superfluous:
- Texture + Pattern. Consider yourself an artist when it comes time to spruce up your interior decor, and artists are experts at mixing texture and patterns. Don't use pillows that are all the same. Rather, choose one or two linen pillow covers that match for symmetry. Then use a furry, fuzzy, patterned or bead-adorned pillow to add some texture.
- Odd is best. Always use an odd number of accent pillows. When you have two and two, the symmetry is boring. That odd numbered pillow adds visual interest.
- No matchy-matchy. You know those sofas that come with matching accent pillows? Use those pillows elsewhere and get your own accent pillows that add contrast with your sofa.
- Complement the space. Use your pillows to tie interior design elements together. This is especially important if you have an open floor plan.
- Break the rules. Every once in a while it's okay to break the rules, and do something the interior design experts advise against. If it's done intentionally, it will work.