By Hairee Lee
"Hit me. No, seriously. Hit me."
Said the cocktail.
Maybe I should have taken a less masochistic turn in the subtitle for this, our very 1st ever in Dinner Series existence, Fall Cocktail of 2011. Try instead: "Smashing Good Cocktail" or "Smash This Peach" or "Peaches Better Smashed...Like Me" or "Peachy Keen To Get Smashed" or "Smushing Peaches or Snookie". In the end, they all tend towards the little rough, even savage.
Some of the best cocktails, despite my wish for it to be otherwise, are the ones that make you work for it. That means crushing, pounding, cutting, mashing, smashing, boiling, whatever it takes.
But through our experience with the Summer Cocktail Series 2011, I discovered some of the best cocktails, despite my wish for it to be otherwise, are the ones that make you sweat, make you work for it. That means crushing, pounding, cutting, mashing, smashing, boiling, whatever it takes. It can get rough.
Whiskey Peach Smash seemed to have taken the notes and hit the ground running. Muscle had to go into this one. It doesn't look the prettiest either with the green from the mint giving the whiskey and peach muddle a very slight bile green hue. But boy does it deliver. The quintessential fall liquor and bowel warming whiskey, and the late summer fruit, peaches, and the sinuses-opening and cooling mint come together in the perfect combination of warmth, menthol, and nostalgia.
And it's not nearly as complicated as our last cocktail, Adam Stemmler's Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Good Lord. This one requires no heating, just muscle. Smash, smash, smash, and the, "Smashing!"
The bowel warming, quintessential fall liquor, whiskey, the late summer fruit, peaches, and the sinuses-opening, cooling mint come together in the perfect combination of heat, cold, and nostalgia.
Don't forget the slice of peace slice as garnish. If you're like me, you love munching through your cocktails. In fact, have two or three while you're at it. Peaches won't be around for much longer so enjoy them while they're still here.
Whiskey Peach Smash Serves 1
- 1/2 peach, cut into thick slices
- 3 or 4 fresh mint leaves
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 ounce water
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup ((If you still don't know how to make simple syrup, sigh, here we go again. I'm just saying, because this has to be one of the key ingredients for any respectable bar that offers cocktails more complicated then a house vodka tonic. Bring to a boil 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar stirring until all the crystals are dissolved. Let it cool and store in air-tight container for up to a month.))
- 2 ounces whiskey (we used Jack Daniels' 8 Years Old)
- 1 sprig mint
- 1 thin peach slice for garnish
- Place sliced peaches, mint and lemon into cocktail shaker. For this cocktail, we went all out and used the Match Pewter Cocktail Shaker pictured above.
- Muddle all ingredients except whiskey in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and whiskey.
- Shake and strain into an ice-filled old fashioned glass.
- Garnish with a peach slice and a sprig of mint.
JOIN US NEXT WEEK FOR FALL COCKTAIL #2: PINK RIBBON in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October)!