By Hairee Lee
We've all had some variation of the fruit salad at some point. The beauty of it is that you can pretty much throw in whatever fruit you like. The trick to making it tasty is to balance the textures, sweetnesses, and colors. Sticking with seasonal fruits also makes gustatory sense since they'll be the tastiest and freshest. For Dinner 12: Sunday Brunch, Laura thought of all that and then some, in her usual fabulous form, by serving hers in the watermelon rind from which she'd balled out all the flesh.
It not only looks great, but you can chuck the rind afterwards with one less dish to clean.
Melon Medley Fruit Salad in Watermelon Bowl Serves 8
- 1 medium sized watermelon
- 1 honey dew melon
- Figure out which part of the watermelon will sit securely on a table. Then slice through the top quarter so that you can use the rind bowl to fill with the fruit salad.
- Use a melon baller to scoop out equal sized balls of melon from the watermelon and the honey dew. Laura used the Rosle Melon/Potato Baller, which worked great. Those balls looked almost too perfect to eat. Almost.
- Scrap out any remaining red flesh from the watermelon using a spoon.
- Mix the melon balls and the blueberries together and then pour into your melon serving bowl.
Photographs by Nathan Brescia.