Laura's Mashed Potatoes Serves 4
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks, rinsed well, and drained
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Table salt
- 2/3 cup warm whole milk
- Ground black pepper
- Insert a metal colander into a large pot or Dutch oven and add enough water for it to reach the bottom of colander. Turn the heat to high, bringing the water to a boil. Add the potatoes, cover, and reduce the heat to medium-high.
- Cook potatoes for 10 minutes and transfer colander to sink and rinse potatoes under cold water until they're no longer hot to the touch. Return the colander and potatoes to pot, cover, and continue to cook until potatoes are soft and easily pierced, about 10 to 15 minutes. Pour off the water from the Dutch oven.
- Set a ricer over the empty pot. Working in batches, press the potatoes through the ricer. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the melted butter and a 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in warm milk until incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen TV, Season 9, "One Great Thanksgiving."